Hi Birders,

This evening right before dusk I had either a Franklin's or Laughing Gull at
the Port Dover Harbour. Unfortunately, a very heavy snow squall made viewing
conditions too difficult to positively ID this bird before I ran out of
daylight. The bird was actively flying and feeding around the Tug Boats and up
the river towards the lift bridge. There were several hundred other gulls
present, including a few hundred Bonaparte's and several Ring-bill and
Herring's.

Besides the gulls, several hundred common duck species were also taking shelter
near the shore. There were 2 Double-crested Cormorants feeding in between the
piers.

With the poor weather conditions, it is likely the bird will be around tomorrow
if anyone is interested in hunting it down.

Port Dover can be reached by following Highway 6 south (going through
Hagersville & Jarvis), or from Brantford via Highway 24 south, turning left
onto Highway 6 south of Simcoe.

Good birding,

Matt Timpf
Port Dover, Ontario