Hi again:
Just an addendum to my earlier report. I forgot to mention that an adult Bald Eagle was seen on March Valley Road today. It was perched far in the distance on the Rifle Range side of the road not too far after passing by where the Barred Owl has been seen recently. The Barred Owl was not seen but someone did tell me that it was seen flying in the area on the Rifle Range side. BTW, both yesterday and today were quite busy at the Hilda Road feeder location. At one point I counted over 15 cars parked along Hilda Road in the afternoon. Happy birding.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ott User" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "ontario birds" <ontbirds@hwcn.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2007 7:12 PM
Subject: Ruffed Grouse, Hoary Redpoll and Merlin (Ottawa)

Hi OntBirders:
The tame Ruffed Grouse continues to show at the Hilda Road feeders and areas nearby. Although I was not there when the Ruffed Grouse visited near the feeders mid-morning, I heard all about it from those who were there. It is so tame it followed a birder around as she walked. The Ruffed Grouse showed up again when I returned to the feeders at about 1pm. This time it was on the corner of Hilda and Lois. It showed up again later in the afternoon. The Ruffed Grouse can be seen in the wooded area (a visible trail there) bordering Lois at the end of Hilda Road and was there for most of the late afternoon. There are actually two Ruffed Grouse sighted in the wooded area (one larger than the other from what I was told). One of the local residents happened by in her car when the Ruffed Grouse was near the road at Hilda Road and Lois. She mentioned that two of them were using the woodpile on her property. Early in the afternoon around 1:30pm, a Merlin was chasing a bird (Mourning Dove I was told) aat the Hilda Road feeders and was very close behind it as both flew right by me and other people standing there. No one saw if the Merlin caught the bird or not. A short time later the Merlin returned and perched itself on a tall pole across from the feeders (see linked photo). I had just finished watching the Ruffed Grouse on Lois when I returned to the feeders just in time to see the Merlin chasing the bird. A Hoary Redpoll showed up at the same feeders at around 3pm giving everyone there great looks at it (see linked photos). It was there with Common Redpolls. After that many people went to see the Ruffed Grouse agaain just down the road. The weather also cooperated by being on the mild side. Happy birding.

Merlin.
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/image/91003555/original

Ruffed Grouse.
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/image/91003553/original
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/image/91003554/original

Hoary Redpoll
Side view.
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/image/91001676/original

Front view.
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/image/91001678

At feeders for comparison.
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/image/91001680

W. Hum
www.pbase.com/golfpic

Directions to Shirley's Bay area (Rifle Road, Hild Road feeders) courtesy
www.NeilyWorld.com
http://ca.geocities.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/orwo21.htm