Hello Birders,

Today at Kortright Centre, on the trail near "The Sugar Bush Shop" which
starts in the middle of three trail heads, where bird feeders are placed, I
took my new scope for a run-through. It was the perfect day to compare DOWNY
and HAIRY WOODPECKERS, there were several individuals, many a time you could
see both species opposite each other on a tree trunk. RED-BREASTED
NUTHATCHES were in abundance at the feeders. GREAT-HORNED OWLS were heard
for a short time near the Wood Duck Box on the boardwalk. Also, when one
finishes the boardwalk trail and crosses a small bridge, there is a steep
incline. Once you reach the end of a small field, you will see a wooden
building. You have the option of going left or straight to another incline
through enormous Sugar Maples. Go straight (sometimes the trail isn't
clearly visible) for PILEATED WOODPECKERS. There is a pair resident here and
several times I have seen the birds, including today, in which I saw a
female on an old snag, particularly close to the path, and got excellent
views. Remember: Pileateds have huge territories and seeing them in a one
area is never guaranteed. While I was exiting the park, just at the
entrance, on the left side of the road in a tangle of bushes, I observed a
juvenile NORTHERN SHRIKE. The bird was not intimidated at all and I got
good, close views. Other birds included abundant BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEES,
DARK-EYED JUNCOS, a NORTHERN CARDINAL and a RED-TAILED HAWK.

*Directions to Kortright:*

The Kortright Centre is located three kilometers west of Highway 400
and one kilometer south of Major Mackenzie Drive at 9550 Pine Valley
Drive in Woodbridge.

Good Birding,
Lev Frid