Happy New Year Ontbirders, Today at around 1 pm Dave Moore and I saw three
Lapland Longspurs together.  They were east of Casselman, on Ste-Rose Rd
between Concession Rds 20 and 21.  They were not with Snow Buntings.  A fourth
bird (actually the first one we saw) was nearby but not closely associating
with the other three which stuck close together.  While it had similar markings
and call note, it seemed overall much paler than the other three.  It soon took
off to join a flock of Snow Buntings that passed by and we did not get a very
good look at it.  I can't say for sure that it was a Lapland Longspur as it was
paler than any illustration I can find of them, but we saw insufficient field
marks to say what else it might be.  (The other three birds did not join the
Snow Buntings.)
Directions: Take Hwy 417 east from Ottawa to exit 58. Go north on County Rd. 8
and take the first right, Concession 20.  Proceed to Ste-Rose Rd and turn right.
A Snowy Owl was nearby, on Concession 20 just east of the intersection with
county rd 8.  It was perched atop a hydro pole on the north side of the road.
(As an aside: it was interesting to note that, against the grey sky, this bird
was completely invisible in my peripheral vision even though the pole was
clearly visible and it was only 30 feet away.)
In Ottawa: The Townsend's Solitaire was at 7 Millbrook Cres. at 10:30.  It flew
from the large, berry-laden juniper at the north of the house to the top of the
linden or basswood tree in front of the house to the south.  Millbrook is off
Deer Park Rd which in turn is off Meadowlands (north side), just west of the
Fisher intersection.In Embrun:The Tufted Titmouse was present at about 11:30 at
Manitou Dr. Directions courtesy Chris Lewis: Take Hwy 417 east to exit #79, go
south (right) on County Rd. #5 to the intersection of County Rd. #3 and Route
500 West (the sign indicates that Embrun is to the right). Go east (left) on
Rte. 500 West, which is actually still County Rd. #3, and look for Manitou St.
- the 4th street on your right. #103 Manitou is near the end of the street.
Both sets of feeders are visible from the road between #103 and #107.

All the best,

Bev McBride
Ottawa
foxsparrow01 at hotmail dot com