Many thanks to those who provided weekend updates regarding the Snowy Owls in
Keswick, Bohemian Waxwings in Oak Ridges, and Pine Grosbeaks in various parts
of York region.  Here is some additional information for those who might be
birding the area through the week. Capitals used below are for quick scanning.

  On Sunday I had a NORTHERN SHRIKE at the entrance to Phyllis Rawlinson Park
on Leslie St. around 8:00 a.m.  This park is north of Elgin Mills and south of
Stouffville Rd. Later - at 11:00 a.m. to be exact - I had a second shrike at
Ozark Park in Oak Ridges (thanks for the tip, Theresa & Glenn), then a
Sharp-shinned Hawk that flew low over its head.  The shrike left its treetop
perch and flew out of view.  Ten minutes (and about 1.5 kms) later I had a
shrike at William Bond Park - same bird?

  Cross-country skiing in the afternoon at the North Tract east of Newmarket
(east side of McCowan, south side of Davis Drive), I had a flock of about 60
COMMON REDPOLLS.
  Their call - to me, anyway - sounds like a cross between Pine Siskin and
American Goldfinch.  As I was watching them perched in a tamarack, they
suddenly exploded in panic.  A large, dark bird moved for a second across a gap
in the forest but I was unable to rediscover it from where I was on the trail.
My guess is Northern goshawk, which do occur here, but there was no way I could
make a positive ID.

  Driving north on McCowan afterward, I had a beautiful adult female COOPER'S
HAWK cross the road in front of me (1 km north of Herald Rd.).  It was large
enough to make me think about Goshawk once again, but the rufous chest barring
indicated Cooper's.  Driving west, then south, I made my way over to the
Bradford area to see if any Snowy Owls had arrived there yet.  With 3 Snowies
in nearby Keswick, it seemed like a good hunch to follow.  I stopped at all the
"reliable" places from previous winters but found a grand total of none.
  I did, however, find two different AMERICAN KESTRELS, a small flock of SNOW
BUNTINGS (6), and - at the corner of Tornado Drive and Simcoe Road - another
NORTHERN SHRIKE.  This was "Shrike Three", so I was out.  I folded up my scope
and went home.

  While I was doing all that "car birding", Mike Van den Tillaart was hiking
around George Richardson Park in north-central Newmarket on Sunday.  He
observed 15 PINE GROSBEAKS (all female/juvenile types) near Bayvew Pkwy.  In
nearby Holland Landing, Judy Kowalski had a RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER visit her
feeder on Donaldson Rd. Saturday morning.  It has shown up at her place on
several occasions now.  I wonder if this is the same bird that has been
lingering in the area since Christmas.

  Late last week Chris Dunn had more PINE GROSBEAKS (4) along Bayview Pkwy
north of Davis Drive in Newmarket and, on Friday, a flock of 23 were feeding
along Bolton Ave.  They were soon eventually spooked by a big COOPERS HAWK
which may be the same backyard hunter Mike V. has commented on several times in
the same area.  A SHARP-SHINNED HAWK was seen gliding low over Bolton Ave on
Monday evening.

  Winter is always a good time for accipiters, much to the chagrin of the
visiting finches.