Took a deep breath and ventured out of York with Mike Van den Tillaart and the
uncle-nephew tandem of Keith and Chris Dunn today.  Since there've been no
Rough-legged Hawks in York region all winter, we figured we'd best try for some
before they started moving north.  Rough-legs have been seen on a regular basis
west of Barrie so, armed with directions from local birders in that area, we
did a circle of the Minesing swamp.  We were not disapointed.  Between 9:00
a.m. and noon we counted 21 Rough-legs (both morphs) and observed two Snowy
Owls.  Most of our Roughies were on Strongville Road south of Hwy. 26 while our
Snowies were within a few hundred metres of each other on the west side of
Sunnidale Sdrd. 15-16, not far south of Concession 7 (north of the snowmobile
crossing).

  We also had four coyotes on Strongville Road and, at the chicane in Ronald
Rd. west of Minesing we had a Cooper's Hawk and one Horned Lark.  On the way
back to Newmarket we observed ten Wild Turkeys on the north side of Innisfil
Beach Road just west of 5th Line.
  Should mention that we also had a Northern Shrike on 25th Sdrd. (Mapleview
Drive west of Barrie) on our way up to Angus around 8:30 a.m.

  Thanks, Larry Durkee and Jen Howard for your directions.  The Minesing swamp
is roughly bounded by Hwy. 26 on the north, Hwy. 90 on the south, George
Johnson Road on the east, and Hwy. 10/ Sunnidale Road on the west.

  Ron Fleming, Newmarket