Hi all,

Yesterday (Friday) on a tip from Bob Carlisle, Christine Trudeau and I were able to see an adult male YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD and a female RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER at a feeder west of Williamstown (northeast of Cornwall).

Then at 4:15 pm we saw the TUFTED TITMOUSE at the Manitou Street feeder east of Embrun. The owner allows birders to walk along the right-hand side of the house to the backyard. The feeders can be viewed from the corner of the house.

On our way back to St-Isidore we passed through the Ste-Rose area and saw at a distance the dark SNOWY Owl I had originally reported here back on December 6. It was being photographed point blank in the middle of the field at a safe distance from the road. Birders need not be frustrated that they can't see it atop the usual hydro pole at the roadside. Just park safely by the side of the road and walk quietly towards the friendly photographers for a very close view of the owl. I am sure the photographers have obtained permission from the local farmer to enter the field.

DIRECTIONS : Yellow-headed Blackbird and Red-bellied Woodpecker (from Cornwall)

Take Hwy 401 west of Cornwall to exit 804. Proceed north past Summerstown Station until you get to the stop sign just past the Raisin River bridge. Turn right on Cty Rd 19 towards Williamstown. A couple of kms along, just past the covered bridge (on your right) is 19,275 County Road 10, on the north (left) side of the road. It is a blue house. The owner allows birders to drive up the lane and check out his feeder on the north side of the house. If the weather is lousy the owner will allow birders to walk up into the 2 car garage, up the little set of steps into the sun room and look in comfort from there. Please do not block the driveway.

There is another Red-bellied Woodpecker closer to Ottawa but I it is very unpredictable and scarcely visits the feeder of Mario Bourdon in Hammond north of the 417. See photo of Hammond bird here

http://jacquesbouvier.blogspot.com/2008/01/pic-rare-vu-prs-de-hammond-hier-matin.html

DIRECTIONS: Tufted Titmouse (from Ottawa):

Take Hwy 417 east to exit 79, go south (right) on County Rd. 5 to the 4 way-stop intersection of County Rd.5 and Route 500 West (Cty Rd 3) . Go east (left) on Rte. 500 West (Cty Rd.3), and look for Manitou St. - the 4th street on your right. The 103 Manitou residence is near the end of the street on the right-hand side.

DIRECTIONS: Snowy Owl (from Ottawa)

From Hwy 417 east of Casselman take exit 58 and proceed north on Cty Rd 8
for about 1 km until you come to Concession 20 Rd in the middle of the long
curve. Turn right (east) on Concession 20 Rd. The Snowy Owl and photographers are usually seen close to this corner. Another Snowy Owl is often seen at the corner of Concession 20 and Ste-Rose Rd. You will find Concession 19 Rd
just north of 20 where a third Snowy is usually seen.

Jacques Bouvier
CP/Box 184
St-Isidore, ON K0C 2B0
(613) 524-1154
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Les oiseaux des comtés unis de Prescott /Russell et d'ailleurs
http://jacquesbouvier.blogspot.com

L'observation des oiseaux dans l'Est ontarien et ailleurs
http://www.jacquesbouvier.ca