A reminder to all birders that Eastern Loggerhead Shrikes are already
starting to make their way to their breeding grounds in Ontario, and should
be starting to arrive soon. Please report any sightings of this endangered
bird to Wildlife Preservation Canada on our toll free number 1-800-956-6608
or by e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  We are especially
interested in any bands seen, so PLEASE have a careful look for bands and

Historically shrikes occured across southern Ontario, with breeding
populations in the Carden, Napanee and Smiths Falls Plains/Alvars; Pembroke
and Renfrew area; Grey and Bruce Counties and Manitoulin Island.  Due to
limited resources most of our search effort has focused on the 2 remaining
core areas (Carden and Napanee Plains/Alvars).  It is our hope that through
interested birders and naturalists groups, we can get more sets of
experienced "eyes" out there looking for shrikes across southern Ontario.

If you live in the Napanee, Pembroke, Renfrew or Smith Falls areas and would
like to join the Adopt-a-Site program and survey specific shrike habitat
patches over the summer, please contact me.

For more information on this unique and rare bird, their habitat, and
current recovery efforts, go to www.shrike.ca <http://www.shrike.ca/> .

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jessica Steiner

Species Recovery Biologist