Good Morning Folks

 Sorry this post is a day late but I didn't get home until late and I am
getting a little older now so I needed some sleep before writing this.

 Yesterday Ian Cannell and I birded the Long Point Area and besides the great
close up look of a male Brewers Blackbird on Kitchen Road just south of Simcoe
we found 73 species of birds including 24 Waterfowl species, our first Painted
Turtles, Garter Snakes and Chorus Frogs and following are some of the birds we
found.

 We found other birds along Kitchen Road as well including E. Bluebirds, E.
Meadowlarks, Brown Thrasher, Rusty Blackbirds and a ton of Song Sparrows.

 From here we headed to Long Point itself stopping off at the Turkey Point
Marsh overlook along Front Road on the way to Port Rowan. At the overlook we
could see a Bald Eagle in the trees at the back of the marsh and a Sandhill
Crane over the marsh.

 In Port Rowan we stopped at the Bird Studies Canada building just east of Port
Rowan and found Blue-winged Teal,  about a dozen Tree Swallows, E. Meadowlark,
Rough-legged Hawk and the usual birds.

 After this we stopped at the viewing platform at Big Creek Marsh and found 2
Bald Eagles, Rough-legged Hawks, Tree Swallows, 1 Tundra Swan and 1 Canvasback
only. We saw a total of 12 Waterfowl species including 100 Ring-necked Ducks,
35 A. Wigeons, N. Pintails, and 50 A. Coots.

 We then went to Old Cut Woods and here were a nice Male Purple Finch ( our 2nd
one ), lots of Golden-crowned Kinglets, Winter Wren, Red-breasted Nuthatches,
Tree Swallows, Creepers and many Blackbirds.

 After here we went for a walk in the Provincial Park where we saw E. Bluebird,
4 E. Phoebes, E. Towhee, 3 Wilson's Snipe ( 2 of them flying together overhead
), 8 Killdeer, 11 TV's, Sharp-shinned Hawk, N. Flickers, Bonaparte's Gulls, and
a small flock of 16 A. Tree Sparrows feeding on the grass together.

 It was now off to Lee Brown Conservation Area where in the main pond and the
flooded field to the left ( scope required ) we found 100 Gadwall, 50 N.
Pintail, 150 green-winged teal, 100 A. Wigeon, Ruddy Duck, the usual TV's
overhead and 4 Sandhill Cranes.

 We then headed up to the Triple Bridges area on A Concession Road where we saw
Rusty Blackbirds, Red-bellied Woodpecker, 6 Wood Ducks, 12 TV's overhead, 2
Sandhill Cranes calling in the field behind, Bonaparte's Gulls, and a great
look at an adult Bald Eagle flying low overhead.

 Time to head home but we stopped off at the Townsend sewage lagoons NW of
Jarvis at dusk and again found some nice birds including 6 Lesser Yellowlegs,
about 2500 Canada Geese, 250 Ring-necked Ducks, 50 Ruddy Ducks, 50 Lesser
Scaup, 50 N. Pintail, 25 Redhead, 25 Green-winged Teal, ( 11 Waterfowl species
total that we could see ), 200 Ring-billed Gulls flying south, and just as we
were leaving ( and we could barely see as it was almost dark ) 2 Sandhill
Cranes flew in to spend the night there.

Directions:-
KITCHEN ROAD

Drive south on Hwy 24 through Simcoe and Kitchen Road is about 8 km south of
Simcoe just after crossing the bridge over Young’s Creek and heading up the
hill. Kitchen Road is on the left ( south side ). Kitchen Road is a short Road
and connects Hwy 24 with Front Road. Grasshopper, Vesper and Savannah Sparrows
nest along this short road.

OLD CUT WOODS, LONG POINT PROVINCIAL PARK AND BIG CREEK MARSH AT LONG POINT

Old Cut Woods at Long Point is southwest of Hamilton, directly south of Port
Rowan. To reach it you can drive south on Hwy 6 from Hamilton, passing through
Hagersville and turning right, west in Jarvis onto Hwy 3, drive to Simcoe and
turn left, south on Hwy 24 and follow this to Hwy 59, ( it curves to the west
south of town) turn left, south on Hwy 59 and drive right down about 8 km and
past the golf coarse and you will be on the causeway (Long Point Rd).

 As you drive along towards Old Cut and the Provincial Park you will be driving
through the Big Creek Marsh. There is a viewing platform on your right that
gives a good view over the marsh. The marsh trail is closed at this time until
migration of the waterfowl has finished.

Drive on across the bridge and continue past the marina on your left. The road
comes to Lake Erie where it curves to the left (Erie Blvd) through the cottage
/ retail business area. Continue driving until you come to Old Cut Road. Turn
left and drive a couple of hundred yards down this road (you will see the
entrance to the banding area on your right) this is the entrance to Old Cut
Woods. Drive another 100 feet or so and you will see a parking area on your
left. Park here and walk across the road to the woods.

NOTE: Be sure to lock your car and put your valuables out of sight).

NOTE AGAIN:- Long Point Provincial Park is about 1000 yards past Old Cut Road.
The park is closed until May but you can walk in.

LEE BROWN WATERFOWL SANCTUARY

To get to the sanctuary drive south on Hwy 6 from Hamilton, passing through
Hagersville and turning right, west in Jarvis onto Hwy 3, drive to Simcoe and
turn left, south on Hwy 24 and follow this to Hwy 59, ( it curves to the west
south of town) turn left, south on Hwy 59 and drive right down about 7 1/2 km
to Lakeshore Road (or Road 42) and turn right (west) off Hwy 59 onto this road.
(This is the last road before the Long Point Causeway). (a gas station on your
left and a driving range on your right). Drive over the bridge over Big Creek
and watch on your left side (south) for the parking area with the viewing
platform and a washroom and probably birders during migration. This is just a
small pond and some cedars off the side of the road.

TRIPLE BRIDGE AT PORT ROYAL / PORT ROWAN ON A CONCESSION

To reach the triple bridge area you can drive south on Hwy 6 from Hamilton,
passing through Hagersville and turning right (west) in Jarvis onto Hwy 3,
drive west to Simcoe and turn left (south) on Hwy 24 and follow this to Hwy 59,
turn left (south) on Hwy 59 and drive right down about 7 km to A Concession
Road (just before the golf coarse on your right and just south of the OPP
station also on your right.

Turn right (west) here and follow the road to Big Creek. You will come to 3
bridges only a couple hundred yards apart.

Or you can drive past A Concession Road to Lakeshore Rd at the putting coarse.
Turn right (west) here and drive past Lee Brown Conservation Area to the next
road which is West 1/4 Line. Turn right (north here and drive about 2 km to A
Concession Road. Turn right (east) and drive about 1 km to the bridges.

Note:- The area is closed to through traffic because of proposed ?? Bridge
replacement but you can approach from Hwy 59 or West 1/4 Line Road, park and
walk to the bridge.

TOWNSEND SEWAGE LAGOONS

On the way down to Long Point on Hwy 6 you will pass through Hagersville and
drive towards Jarvis. Just as you approach the town of Jarvis you will see a
sign indicating "TOWNSEND" at Nanticoke Creek Parkway #69. Turn right here and
drive to the intersection with the stop signs, turn left on Keith Richardson
Parkway and drive past some park ponds on your right. Drive ahead until you see
a small children’s shelter (with an air conditioner on it) on your right at
County Rd 14. This is just before you reach the abandoned railway line (tracks
removed). Turn right here onto County Rd 14. and drive a few hundred yards and
you will see a gate and sign indicating that this is a waste treatment area..
Park well to the side of the road, do not block the gate. If the gate is open
(they are on sometimes) then do not park directly across from the gate as the
larger "Honey Trucks" need the area to swing into and out of the entrance road.

These lagoons are accessible each day and on the weekend but if asked to leave
or not enter then please be respectful and comply as it seems that for now we
are being tolerated.

Norm Murr
Richmond Hill, ON

"Sils mordent, mords les"