Hi Ontbirders,

Without wanting to get into a numbers game, I have to
report that Joel Nordenstrom & I found two significant
flocks of Greater Snow Geese this afternoon (17 April)
in the Riceville/Franklins Corners area north of
St-Isidore.

We estimated (conservatively) that the first flock
numbered well over 50,000.  It was in the same area as
reported by Geof Burbidge (et al) two days ago, & was
best viewed from Vallee Road (off Concession Road 12,
east of Hwy 9).  At least two of the geese had visible
neck collars which will be reported for identification
to the Canadian Wildlife Service.

The second, much smaller flock, numbered around 5,000
& was visible to the north from Hwy 16 just west of
Riceville.  Many roads in the area remain closed
because of flooding but Vallee Road & Concession Road
12 were fully accessible.  Please contact me privately
if more directions or information are needed.

For general information, Embrun, Casselman, &
St-Isidore lagoons still have plenty of ice & few
birds were present today.  The ponds & fields along
Milton Road & Frank Kenny Road (just east of Ottawa)
produced the regular ducks, including two Redheads,
Blue-winged Teal, Lesser Scaup,

Roger Clark
Ottawa
(613) 744-0314