I had an interesting experience at the Cawthra Mulock reserve in Newmarket this
morning.
  Coming down the trail to where the pond is, I heard the call of a Red-headed
Woodpecker.  This hard-to-find species was actually observed by Allan Roitner
at a different location in Newmarket this past Wednesday, so I was immediately
on the alert.  (NOTE: I did not post the RHWP sighting for reasons you will
understand after reading the rest of this post.)

  I followed the sound of the woodpecker to its source and found a photographer
in a camouflage blind.  He was playing tapes of different birds in hopes of
luring them in.  He was impressed that I knew my birds by ear.  I was not
impressed that he was playing tapes.  This, it turns out, is the same
photographer who spent two days earlier this week in a blind parked in the
middle of an open field not more than 7 meters from an active bluebird box -
the only active bluebird box we have ever had at the reserve.  He insisted that
he was not stressing the bluebirds.  I did not feel the same way.

  Since Ontbirds is a not a forum for discussion but for the reporting of
interesting birds, I will not say much more here, but this situation brings up
some very important questions: At which point does passive use of a nature
reserve cross over into the realm of intrusive use?  What are the rights of
other hikers and birders when a photographer interferes with their birding or
enjoyment of a local patch?  What are the rights of photographers themselves?
I'd be lying if I said I didn't admire the marvellous photos that have been so
generously shared by our many great nature photographers in Ontario.

  The most important question of all, however, is this one: What are the rights
of the birds we see, watch, and photograph AND who protects them?

  I am well aware that many nature photographers are also environmentalists and
top-notch naturalists.  I feel partly responsible for this situation at the
reserve because I mentioned the bluebirds in an Ontbirds post last week. Too
late, I realize that mentioning them may have compromised their situation.  I
wrongly accused another photographer of being the bluebird stalker (privately,
but still hurtfully, I imagine) so there is a little more guilt to throw on the
fire.  Anyway, 'nuff said, but if anyone wants to comment, e-mail me privately
NOT here on Ontbirds.

  Back to my bird sightings...

  When I wandered away from the blind, I soon heard a Chestnut-sided Warbler.
I thought it was probably the tapes being played again.  Turns out, it was not.
 The warbler flew onto an open branch and gave me my earliest-ever
Chestnut-sided.  Minutes later I had a Blue-headed Vireo, also my earliest.
This unseasonably warm April has made for some very early arrivals of certain
species.  I also had Pine Warbler and many Chipping Sparrows (a great way to
compare their songs is to find a place where you can stand between both
species).  There are at least two Brown Thrashers and all sorts of Field
Sparrows at the reserve and, still intact, the pair of Eastern Bluebirds.  As I
watched the male over the course of 15 minutes (I was hidden behind a tree well
away from the nesting box), he spent the whole time chasing off several Tree
Swallows and a pair of BH Cowbirds. As the photographer suggested, these latter
birds are more of a threat to the bluebirds than he is...

  Ron Fleming, Newmarket