Hi Ontbirders:

  Yesterday, Sunday, July 20, my wife, Judy, and I birded several sites near
Dunrobin west of Ottawa. We started at the Bill Mason Outdoor Center behind
West Carleton Secondary School on Dunrobin Road. In the marsh area from the
southern boardwalk we were abe to see several Virginia Rail (one crossed over
the boardwalk in front of us) as well as a displaying Wilson's Snipe that
perched on a large stump just over our head, periodically flying and making the
winnowing sound.

  We then visited several sites along the Thomas Dolan Parkway. First we
visited the Osprey nest at Constance Creek where one adult tended a juvenile.
While there, a Peregrine Falcon circled not far overhead on a thermal.

  Heading west on Thomas Dolan, we stopped at the highest point of the road on
the Carp Ridge where both Rufous-sided Towhee and Field Sparrow were calling.
Further west, where Thomas Dolan crosses Mountain Road, there were a pair of
Eastern Bluebirds and a singing Indigo Bunting with Bobolinks in fields nearby.

  Good birding

  Peter Hall

  Directions: (from Neily Birding World) From Highway 417 (The Queensway) take
exit 138 (Eagleson/March Roads). If travelling west, the 0.6 km offramp dumps
you right or north onto March Road. If driving east, a 0.5 km offramp brings
you to Eagleson Road, where you will turn left or north onto it to March Road
(its northward extension) and in 0.5 km join the westbound offramp traffic.
Both groups will now follow March Road, or Regional 49, north, then northwest,
8.1 km to to a 90 degree lefthand turn and the junction for Dunrobin Road. Take
a right onto Dunrobin Road and continue northwest 7.5 km to Thomas Dolan
Parkway at Dunrobin