Linda McLearn and I were at the Great Egret roost at the north east
corner of Luther Marsh this morning at 0610. Egrets did not start to
leave the roost until about 0644. From then until 0709, we counted a
total of 227 egrets departing from the roost. Nearly all of them flew in
a SSW direction toward the main section of the marsh. Peak departure
time was from 0649-0654 when 129 birds left. Sunrise, as observed at the
marsh, was approximately 0707. Thus, virtually all egrets had left the
roost by official sunrise.

Directions from Grand Valley: Go north on Highway 25 to the 8-9
Concession, turn left. Follow that, making a short jog to the left, to
sideroad 21-22, turn right. Go to the 2nd Luther Marsh entrance on your
left. Walk in about 300-400 m following a rough truck trail. The roost
will be on your right when you arrive between two water bodies.

Chip Weseloh

Phone-416-739-5846
Cell-416-518-4329
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

A poor day in the field is better than a good day in the office !