With light NW winds, becoming SE and a falling Barometric pressure, in spite of
good thermals (TUV of 300ft./min.) we expected a poor show at the Cranberry
Marsh platform. Indeed, the total after 4 hours was only 14 migrating raptors
(SEE TABLE BELOW)

CRANBERRY MARSH RAPTOR WATCH, sw Whitby, ON
Tues. Oct.7/08
Observation  time: 0800-1200EST
Coordinator: Doug Lockrey

Official Counters: Doug Lockrey
Observers:  Jim Skene,  Peter D'Arcy,  Sam Lee (from Richmond Hill), Donna
Foster, Paul McGee, Joe Noordman, Phil & Rhea Babin

The weather---light NW, the SE winds; falling BP; 11C; TUV=3.

Non-raptors- A PINE SISKIN came in to land in the alder tree the platform at
0900EST; 7 BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS flew over before noonhour, as did a WILSON'S
SNIPE.
OTHER BIRDS----our first DARK-EYED JUNCOS(2), yellow-bellied sapsucker,
white-crowned sparrow, rose-breasted grosbeak, eastern phoebe, ruby-crowned
kinglet, catbird, n.flicker, palm warbler.

At least 15 Monarchs flew through.

>From the 401 eastbound, exit at Salem Rd. in Ajax, south to Bayly, the east
>through Lakeridge Rd. to the first street beyond-Hall's Rd.--south toward the
>lake to the second roadside parking area. From the 401 westbound--exit at
>Brock St. in Whitby, south to Victoria St., west right through to Hall's Rd.

Species                             Oct.7 Count    Month Total   Season Total
------------------                         --------------       -------------
       -------------
Black Vulture(BV)                     0                     0
     0
Turkey Vulture(TV)                    2                1653
1918
Osprey(OS)                               0                     1
    147
Bald Eagle(BE)                          0                   13
   56
Northern Harrier (NH)                 0                    16
  64
Sharp-shinned Hawk (SS)          8                  259                   1268

Cooper's Hawk (CH)                  0                    26
 83
Northern Goshawk (NG)             0                     0                       0
Red-shouldered Hawk(RS)         0                     1                        3
Broad-winged Hawk(BW)           0                    0                    2042
Red-tailed Hawk(RT)                  1                   57
 98
Rough-legged Hawk (RL)           0                      0
 0
Golden Eagle(GE)                       0                   0
   0
American Kestrel (AK)              41                170                     660
Merlin(ML)                                 0                   4
       23
Peregrine Falcon (PG)                0                   2
 12
Unknown Accipiter (UA)             0                    5
 8
Unknown Buteo (UB)                  0                  0
2
Unknown Falcon(UF)                 0                  1
3
Unknown Eagle (UE)                 0                    0
  0
Unknown Raptor(UR)                 2                    5
35
TOTAL                                    14               2213
6418