CRANBERRY MARSH RAPTOR WATCH, sw Whitby, ON
Wed. Oct.22/08
Observation  time: 0800-1500EST
Coordinator: Doug Lockrey
Official Counter: Doug Lockrey
Observers:  Jim Fairchild, Jim Skene, Rosemary Harris, Joyce Collier-Brown,
Karl Jennewein, Charlie Adey, Alex Dobson, Paul McGee

Medium NW, with periodic NE winds, excellent thermals (TUV=3), and rising BP,
we "knew" we would have a good flight. Indeed, up to 11amEST only 27 came
through, including a sub-adult Bald Eagle. Over the next 3+ hours it was great
to visualize hawks on high thermals as they came off the lake from Thickson Pt.
I thank the sharp eyes of all of the above for helping me. Then, at 1:40pmEST
our first GOLDEN EAGLE arrived--what a sight--just 2 tree-tops directly over
our heads we had a marvelous view of the underwings of an adult bird.

SEE THE TABLE below for the list of other raptors.

Non-raptor highlights-- 1 SNOW GOOSE, 3 RUSTY BLACKBIRDS, 8 PURPLE FINCHES, 1
E.MEADOWLARK, tree sparrow, yellow-rumped warbler, many PINE SISKINS, marsh
wren, swamp sparrow, several juncos, golden-crowned kinglet, and, on the
lake/lakefront---WILSON'S SNIPE, WHITE-WINGED SCOTER, bufflehead, 2 blue-winged
teals

>From the 401 eastbound, exit at Salem Rd. in Ajax, south to Bayly, the east
>through Lakeridge Rd. to the first street beyond-Hall's Rd.--south toward the
>lake to the second roadside parking area. From the 401 westbound--exit at
>Brock St. in Whitby, south to Victoria St., west right through to Hall's Rd.

Species                         Oct.22 Count        Month Total   Season Total
------------------                         --------------         -------------
      -------------
Black Vulture(BV)                     0                      0
      0
Turkey Vulture(TV)                   85                 2929
3194
Osprey(OS)                             0                       2
     149
Bald Eagle(BE)                       3                      23
     66
Northern Harrier (NH)               3                      29
    77
Sharp-shinned Hawk (SS)        6                    427                     436

Cooper's Hawk (CH)                3                      48
105
Northern Goshawk (NG)           0                       1
 1
Red-shouldered Hawk(RS)        2                      6                        8
Broad-winged Hawk(BW)           0                     0                    2042
Red-tailed Hawk(RT)              108                  433
474
Rough-legged Hawk (RL)          3                      7
 7
Golden Eagle(GE)                    1                     1
    1
American Kestrel (AK)               0                  206
694
Merlin(ML)                                0                     8
         27
Peregrine Falcon (PG)              1                      6
   16
Unknown Accipiter (UA)            2                      9
  12
Unknown Buteo (UB)                0                      3
    6
Unknown Falcon(UF)                 0                     1
    3
Unknown Eagle (UE)                 0                    0
    0
Unknown Raptor(UR)                0                   11
 39
TOTAL                                  217              4146
8351