CRANBERRY MARSH RAPTOR WATCH, sw Whitby, ON
Sun. Oct.26/08
      (an aside--1 hour in the rain on Sat.Oct.25--NIL)
Observation  time: 0800-1000, 1200-1300EST
Coordinator: Doug Lockrey
Official Counter: Rayfield Pye, Greg Stuart
Observers:   Karl Jennewein,  Paul McGee, Doug Lockrey, Jim Fairchild

Falling BP and medium S winds meant few migrating raptors along the lakefront.
Indeed 2 very distant Accipiters passed through to the north. During the
morning an imm.Peregrine Falcon flew in low over the wetland, flew around our
poled owl, then flew back to the east. At noonhour this same bird came across,
continuiung onward to the west.

At 0900EST 12 Eastern bluebirds flew through.  We did enjoy watching a two-way
harassing between an adult Peregrine Falcon and an imm. N.Harrier.

Other non-raptors were few, as the wind was keeping everything low.---  several
Yellow-rumped Warblers, 3 Greater yellowlegs, ruby-crowned kinglet, swamp
sparrow, song sparrow. We have had no white-crowned sparrows for a week.

>From the 401 eastbound, exit at Salem Rd. in Ajax, south to Bayly, the east
>through Lakeridge Rd. to the first street beyond-Hall's Rd.--south toward the
>lake to the second roadside parking area. From the 401 westbound--exit at
>Brock St. in Whitby, south to Victoria St., west right through to Hall's Rd.

Species                         Oct.26 Count        Month Total   Season Total
------------------                         --------------         -------------
      -------------
Black Vulture(BV)                     0                      0
      0
Turkey Vulture(TV)                   0                  2931
3196
Osprey(OS)                             0                      3
    149
Bald Eagle(BE)                       0                      23
     66
Northern Harrier (NH)               0                      29
    77
Sharp-shinned Hawk (SS)       0                    428                     437

Cooper's Hawk (CH)                0                      48
105
Northern Goshawk (NG)           0                       1
 1
Red-shouldered Hawk(RS)        0                      6                        8
Broad-winged Hawk(BW)           0                     0                    2042
Red-tailed Hawk(RT)                0                   437
478
Rough-legged Hawk (RL)         0                      8
8
Golden Eagle(GE)                    0                     2
    2
American Kestrel (AK)               0                  206
694
Merlin(ML)                                0                     8
         27
Peregrine Falcon (PG)              1                      8
   18
Unknown Accipiter (UA)            2                     11
  14
Unknown Buteo (UB)                0                      3
    5
Unknown Falcon(UF)                 0                     1
    3
Unknown Eagle (UE)                 0                    0
    0
Unknown Raptor(UR)                0                   11
 39
TOTAL                                  3                   4164
   8364