Greetings ONTBirders:

I spent much of today at Andrew Haydon Park, searching for some previously
reported goodies.  The day consisted of large numbers of CANADA GEESE, with a
raft of about fifty SCAUP (they were too far away to ID greater or lesser).
There were approximately 20+ BUFFLEHEAD, 15+ COMMON GOLDENEYE (with a possible
BARROW'S GOLDENEYE in the mix - again, too far away to properly ID), four
female RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS, five GREEN-WINGED TEALS, and lots of MALLARDS.
The highlight of the day was a very accommodating CACKLING GOOSE that I found
right along the shore of the Ottawa River.  The goose would not associate with
any of the hundreds of Canada geese, but remained alone for well over an hour.
I believe this cackling goose to be a member of the "Richardson's" subspecies.

A single lingering GREATER YELLOWLEGS was present flying about one of the ponds
at the park, and also late for the year was a single DUNLIN that, like the
cackling goose, was quite accommodating to a small group of photographers that
located it.  When I left at around 12:30, the dunlin was still present but I
was unable to relocate the cackling goose.  Thanks to all present - if you're
reading this I apologize, but I am horrible with names.

Since the cackling goose has been a long sought-after bird for me, and ID-ing
one in a group of hundreds of Canada geese can be almost impossible, I attached
some photos so that everyone can see what it looks like.  Make special note of
the stubby beak and small head.  My only regret was that I was unable to get a
photo of the goose with a mallard or a Canada goose to show scale, but for the
uncertain a cackling goose is basically a duck-sized version of a Canada goose.

Cackling Goose #1:
http://pj-mcblake.smugmug.com/gallery/4278115_ngYkW#408183480_TXMn7
Cackling Goose #2:
http://pj-mcblake.smugmug.com/gallery/4278115_ngYkW#408183460_umimq

Pat

DIRECTIONS (courtesy NeilyWorld): From Highway 417 (The Queensway) take exit
129 (Greenbank & Pinecrest Roads). I f travelling west, the 0.3 km offramp
dumps you right or north onto Pinecrest Road.  If driving east, a 0.3 km
offramp brings you to Pinecrest/Greenbank Road, where you will turn left or
north onto Pinecrest Road and in 0.4 km join the westbound offramp traffic.
Both groups will now follow Pinecrest Road north 1.0 km from here to Carling
Avenue.  Turn left or west on Carling and go 2.0 km to the turnoff for the
parking lot for Andrew Haydon Park on the right or north.  Turn right into the
lot.