A strong southeast wind with reasonable thermals (Thermal Updraft
Velocity=200ft./min.), 3C (wind-chill much lower) and a falling BP greeted 15
observers and visitors to Cranberry Marsh Raptor Watch on its last formal
count-day. As ever, camaraderie prevailed, and between wind gusts we witnessed
the wonderful sight of hawks floating effortlessly on the thermals.
Once the raptors reached the wetland in front of us they continued on
through--1 Cooper's, 5 Red-tailed, 4 Rough-leggeds (1 dark) and an Am. Kestrel
(#701 being our first since Nov.1). --SEE TABLE BELOW

 Again, let me thank everyone of the 110 people who contributed to the watch
since Aug.14.

Approx. 90% of the 9,345 raptors came through on 25 of the 106 days--each of
these days being marked by N/NW winds, rising Barometric Pressure and a
TUV=>200.

AMONG THE NON-RAPTORS near the platform---  4 RUSTY BLACKBIRDS (one of which is
a young one that has dark eyes); HOUSE FINCH; white-throated sparrow.

OVERHEAD- 2 BLUE SNOW GEESE.

CRANBERRY MARSH RAPTOR WATCH, sw Whitby, ON
SUN.Nov.30/108

Observation  time: 0900-1200
Coordinator: Doug Lockrey
Official Counter:Doug Lockrey
Observers: Brian Steele, Frank Oland, Jim Skene, Karen & Jerry Scheenard and
15+ others

>From the 401 eastbound, exit at Salem Rd. in Ajax, south to Bayly, the east
>through Lakeridge Rd. to the first street beyond-Hall's Rd.--south toward the
>lake to the second roadside parking area. From the 401 westbound--exit at
>Brock St. in Whitby, south to Victoria St., west right through to Hall's Rd.

Species                          Nov.30 Count        Month Total   Season Total

------------------                         --------------         -------------
      -------------
Black Vulture(BV)                     0                      0
      0
Turkey Vulture(TV)                   0                       1
 3205
Osprey(OS)                             0                      0
     149
Bald Eagle(BE)                       0                       0
      67
Northern Harrier (NH)               1                       7
   102
Sharp-shinned Hawk (SS)        0                      43
1501
Cooper's Hawk (CH)               1                       15
 123
Northern Goshawk (NG)          0                        6
 11
Red-shouldered Hawk(RS)        0                     14                       24
Broad-winged Hawk(BW)           0                     0                    2042
Red-tailed Hawk(RT)                5                    346
1218
Rough-legged Hawk (RL)         4                      29
55
Golden Eagle(GE)                    0                      1
     9
American Kestrel (AK)              1                      2
701
Merlin(ML)                               0                      2
        29
Peregrine Falcon (PG)             0                       3
  20
Unknown Accipiter (UA)            0                      2
 20
Unknown Buteo (UB)                0                    14
 21
Unknown Falcon(UF)                 0                     0
   3
Unknown Eagle (UE)                 0                     0
   0
Unknown Raptor(UR)                0                      3
 44
TOTAL                                   11                  488
   9344