The Avocet was resting in the water on one leg and lifted its head off its back
for a moment when I showed about 15 minutes past noon.

Follow directions to Beaver Island State Park (BISP) from the I-190 once you
are on Grand Island. Turn towards the east (left) on Ferry Rd. Pass East River
Road coming from the left and continue to the river where East River Road
continues to the right and go right until Cox Rd. Park on the roadside or
continue to BISP then walk back.

The Avocet was resting about 40 yards to the right (upriver) from Cox Rd. and
within 5-10 yards of shore. Shore ice extends perhaps 2 or 3 yards out from the
shoreline.

Jerry Lazarczyk
Grand Island NY