The North Bay Christmas Bird Count was held on December 14 with 18 field
observers and 4 feeder watchers.  Highlights of the count were a Snowy Owl
(second time on count), a Red-tail Hawk, a Carolina Wren, a Rough-legged Hawk
during count week, an accipiter species during count week, 1007 Bohemian
Waxwings (second highest total) and a new high for Ravens (due to a large
number at a local dump).  Total species was 35 plus two count week birds.

A true story from one of our feeder watchers with the Carolina Wren (a rarity
for the Nipissing area that has hung at her place since Sept 2007):

One day recently we had run out of mealworms and went just before closing, to
Keesha's Den for a few tubs - they were right out, so they sold us a tin of
dried mealworms.  They didn't look dried out -- just dead and an odd dark
color.  The next morning the Carolina Wren arrived for breakfast.  I held out
my gloved hand with the worms on it.  He landed, looked at the worms and then
at me - at the worms again and then at me again.  He took a few tiny nibbles,
then grabbed a large one and flew into the hedge.  I watched him hop from
branch to branch all through the hedge and finally he landed back in my hand
and spit out the uneaten worm.
(This behavior was seen recently but not during count week.)

Brent Turcotte