Hello,

I have just returned from an afternoon of birding on the east end of Amherst
Island. 3 Long-tailed Ducks (1 hen, 2 drakes) were seen while on the ferry to
the island, along with several Bufflehead, Common Goldeneyes, and Common/Hooded
Mergansers. Owl Woods had little activity this afternoon, though I accidentally
flushed 2 Short-eared Owls south of the woods (One crossing Marshall 40 foot
Rd, one heading north into the woods) and saw another hunting on the wing
nearby. I saw a single lightly-spotted Snowy Owl approximately 1.5 km east of
Stella on Front Rd. perched over in a Boxelder overhanging the road.

Good Birding.

Hugh Metcalfe
hughmetca...@yahoo.ca

Directions: From Millhaven, take the ferry across to the island. From the ferry
terminal on the island, continue south to the stop sign in Stella. Turn left
onto Front Rd. The Snowy Owl was seen near 3042 Front Rd., on the south side of
the road. Owl Woods can be reached by travelling east on Front Rd. to the
unmaintained Marshall 40 Foot Rd. (right hand side), and walking down this road
approximately 1.5 km south to the KFN bullentin board. ***The condition of this
road on Monday was poor, and I suggest only 4x4 vehicles should attempt driving
down to the parking area west of the woods (via the Lower 40 Foot Rd.).