Hi Everyone
Spent the morning birding the "Owl Woods" on Amherst Island starting at 8:00am.
Our first run through yielded only 1 Northern Saw-whet Owl, 7 Long-eared Owls
and 3 Short-eared owls hunting over the open fields. On the second run we found
an additional 3 Northern Saw-whet Owls and few more Long-eared Owls. As we were
leaving I decided to check one more tree, a spruce which I had observed Boreal
in previous years and to my surprise there it was sitting quietly. It was a
"lifer" for a number of the birders who were still searching the woods. At the
east end of the island we observed 1 Snowy Owl on the KFN property. The "Owl
Woods" also had a number of finches including 16 White-winged Crossbill, 3 Pine
Siskin and 20+ Common Redpoll. There was 1 Northern Shrike at the north side
entrance road to the woods.  We did have a Great Horned Owl along CR4 near
Taylor Kidd Road driving down and on our return we observed 3 Eastern Bluebirds
along CR 4 at Millhaven Road.
We ended the day in Ottawa with our 7th species of owl, Northern Hawk-Owl on
Grandview Road.
Good birding, Bruce

Directions:Amherst Island: Located 18 km. west of Kingston.  Exit off Hwy. 401
at exit
593 (County Rd. 4, Camden East) and drive south to the very end (Millhaven).
 Turn right on Hwy. 33 and drive 100 metres until you see the sign for the
Amherst Island ferry. The ferry (20 minute trip) leaves the mainland on the
half  hour and leaves the island on the hour. Cost is $8.00 Canadian round
trip. There are no gas stations on the island. There are restrooms on
the ferry, and at the island ferry dock.  The East End K.F.N. property
is at the easternmost part of the island on the east side of the Lower
Forty Foot Road.  To reach the Owl Woods, turn left (east) at the
four-way stop sign by the general store and drive 3.4 km along Front Rd.
to the (seasonal) Marshall Forty-Foot Rd.
Marshall Forty-Foot Rd. is across the road from house #2320.  Drive
along Marshall Rd. to the mid-way point, where there is an "S" in the
road (1.2 km, look for the K.F.N. kiosk which had owl observing ethics).
Park in the gravel lane or off the road edge.

Because of liability issues, visitors to the Kingston Field Naturalists'
property at the east end of Amherst Island MUST be accompanied by a KFN
member. For KFN contact
information or how to become a member, please visit
http://kingstonfieldnaturalists.org/ ."

Directions: Northern Hawk-Owl(Ottawa): From Ottawa take Hwy. 417 west to Moodie
Drive exit #134. Go north to Carling Ave. and turn left. Watch for Grandview
Road on your right. Follow to the end and turn left on Hastings Str. and park.
If you require additional information, please email me privately.

Di Labio Birding Website
Courses and Field Trips
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bruce.dilabio/

Bruce Di Labio