Over the last 24 hours I have been contacted regarding some noteworthy raptor
sightings for birders in the GTA.  Of particular interest: Lorena Campbell had
the good fortune of observing and photographing a gathering of up to eight Bald
Eagles this afternoon as she drove along Lake Drive near Willow Beach
(specifically where Lake Dr. meets Kennedy Rd. between Keswick and Jackson's
Point)  Her photos can be viewed on the Simcoe Nature Board, which is a
very informative website administered by Bob Bowles for naturalists in the Lake
Simcoe Area.  The eagles may linger as long as the carcass remains but once
that food source is gone they will no doubt be off to the next easy meal.

I was pleased to observe a brawny female Cooper's Hawk slicing her way
through the backyards of Sawmill Creek Drive in southwest Newmarket while
driving to work this morning but was "out-accipitered" by Mike Van den Tillaart
who started the day with a Sharp-shinned Hawk strafing his feeders then had
the rarer treat of observing a Northern Goshawk along Warahtah Avenue later.

Irving Himel redeemed owling fortunes along Ravenshoe Rd. in southwest Keswick
with the news that he had a Snowy Owl there on Sunday.  Frank Pinella e-mailed
me to mention that he had three different Northern Shrikes within five minutes
of each other in north Richmond Hill the same day. (...Hate to bring this up,
Frank, but ball fans will no doubt remind you that three shrikes means yer out.)

Many thanks to those who sent messages to update birding news in this area.  If
anyone finds a Rough-legged Hawk in York region, please e-mail privately.  Once
again they have shown up early in the winter then apparently moved on.

Ron Fleming, Newmarket