As with many places in Ontario, spring migration has been gathering steam up
here north of Toronto.  Monday was a red-letter day with three VERY interesting
birds noted: one was a late SNOWY OWL photographed on a Keswick dock, another
was the SNOWY EGRET reported by Doug McRae north of Bradford, and, last but not
least, a BLACK VULTURE in King Township observed by Craig Corcoran may have
been the first one ever for York region (any old records, Theo?). Although no
members of this distinguished trio of birds were rediscovered in subsequent
days, they certainly raised ornithological eyebrows.

Ten warbler species were reported in York Region this week, the most unusual
one being a BLUE-WINGED WARBLER observed by Allan Roitner at King City's Seneca
College campus today.  Allan also had two Black & Whites, 20+ Palm Warblers,
and a fallout of at least one hundred Yellow-rumps.  Eastern Bluebirds and a
pair of Osprey are back on territory at this location too.

On Monday at the north end of Yonge St. in Holland Landing Keith and Chris Dunn
had several warbler species, the first BLUE-HEADED VIREO of the spring for York
Region, plus a BROAD-WINGED HAWK and a RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER.  On Tuesday the
same duo birded the west side of the Holland River, which is in Simcoe County.
Along Line 10 north of Bradford they added SCARLET TANAGER, ROSE-BREASTED
GROSBEAK, NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH, YELLOW WARBLER, and AMERICAN BITTERN to their
spring lists.

On Thursday I followed their lead and drove over to Line 10, which is the
northern boundary of the Scanlon Creek Conservation Area - another good place
for birding in this area.  I got a kick out of seeing a BELTED KINGFISHER on a
phone line looking down at a RUFFED GROUSE walking across the road.  In the
swampy woods east of the RR tracks I added a RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER and several
N. Waterthrush.

One concession north of this I searched unsuccessfully for Doug McRae's egret
but was treated to a mid-day surprise when a mob of crows chased a GREAT HORNED
OWL across the road right in front of me.  Also present were four RUSTY
BLACKBIRDS, a PILEATED WOODPECKER, and - at the foot of the observation
platform (Holland Marsh Crown Property) - two calling AMERICAN BITTERNS.  One
of them startled my Golden Retriever and I when it burst out of the
cattails beside us and flew away in squonking protest.  To my great fascination
its mate called to it moments later from the under the boardwalk (hum the old
hit song if you wish) under out feet!  If a bittern's "koonk-a-choonk" call can
ever be considered plaintive, this one was.

Later that day I returned to York Region and stopped in at the Cawthra Mulock
reserve in NW Newmarket.  New arrivals there were BROWN THRASHER, BALTIMORE
ORIOLE, and ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK.  I also flushed a Ruffed Grouse and two
Wood Ducks in the short time I was there.  Doing domestic errands later I was
pleasantly surprised to watch a big female COOPER'S HAWK go ripping across
Yonge St. just above windshield height while I waited for the lights to change
at along Mulock Ave. in the busy heart of suburban Newmarket.  A little further
northwest of this location Mike Van den Tillaart watched an influx of almost
200 PINE SISKINS fly into his backyard feeders this week.  Siskins, usually
just winter visitors here, seem to have settled into nesting mode, doing flight
displays and other mating behaviours all over the place.  In the continuing
northward expansion of NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRDS, Keith Dunn had one visiting his
yard in Keswick last
 Saturday.

Newmarket, King City, Holland Landing, Keswick, and Bradford are all located
north of Toronto and south of Lake Simcoe.  For more specific directions to the
several places mentioned here, please e-mail privately.

Ron Fleming, Newmarket