Hello birders:

On Thursday evening, June 4th, Robbie Preston and I watched from the LCBO
parking at the south west corner of Russell and William Streets as several
Chimney Swifts hunted above downtown Lindsay.  There were at least four pairs,
flying together and one pair was seen V-ing.  Occasionally, single birds would
join the pairs in a trio.  Promptly at 9:00 P.M., a single pair literally fell
into the chimney on the south end of the Midtown Mattress store, which is
located on the north east corner of William and Russell Streets. I informed the
store owner, who was very interested and pleased with my discovery and granted
permission for me to monitor it for "Swiftwatch".

At the same time, there were about a dozen Swifts overhead, chippering loudly
as they headed south east, towards Lindsay and Glenelg Streets.  We were unable
to determine where they went, but a search of this area revealed a second
nesting chimney in a private residence, which I am unable to disclose at this
time, without permission from and in consideration for the homeowner.  However,
 you may be able to spot it yourself, as it is quite active.

Happy hunting,
Judy Kennedy & Robbie Preston,
The Chimney Swift Project,
Kawartha Field Naturalists
www.kawarthafieldnaturalists.org

Directions:
Lindsay is on Highway 35, approximately 3 km north of Highway 7. Highway 35
becomes Lindsay Street as you enter the south end of town. Pass Tim Horton's
and KFC/Taco Bell and turn left on Russell Street.  William Street is 1 block
west of Lindsay Street. The LCBO is on the south west corner of Russell and
William Streets and is an excellent vantage point to view the chimney on the
Midtown Mattress store.  The chimney is  on the south end of the building
adjacent to Russell Street.  One of our replica chimneys is located on George
Street, four blocks south of Russell, in the back parking lot of the Boys and
Girls Club.  Another is located on Victoria Street, north of the Library,
tucked in between the Chamber of Commerce and Lindsay Police Buildings.