Jul. 28, 2009

Fellow birders:

While attending a Mary Kay seminar with my wife I found an active nesting site
that looks like it may have been used earlier in the year by at least three (3)
birds.  I was exploring the parking lot at the International Convention Centre
on Airport Rd., near Derry Road in Mississauga, near Toronto International
Airport when I noticed a bird fly out of a huge tangle of Wild riverbank grape
and Virginia creeper.  This was about 9:30 am this morning.  Upon searching for
the nest I found two unused nests that appeared to be from an earlier broad,
but no eggs or chicks.  A 4 hour search revealed no active nest, but the adults
were giving alarm calls when I approached the mat of vines.  The nest, I belief
was simply out of sight, but I did see an adult flying out from the mat of
vines several times.

To get to the site, simply take Hwy #401 east toward Mississauga and follow the
signs to the Airport.  At Airport Rd. turn left and continue on Airport Rd. for
approx. 10 minutes until you see the signs for the International Convention
Centre on the left, or east side of Airport Rd., just before Derry Rd.  Turn
right into the Convention Centre and drive to the back parking lot.  At the far
northeast side of the parking lot is a pile of gravel.  The nest site and birds
are immediately across from there in the mat of vines along the fence bordering
the VIA/Go Train tracks.

Good birding!

Dave Jolly, B.Sc.,

Executive Director