Unfortunately this bird has not been seen again despite many people
looking for it.

To provide more details of the sighting, at 1:42 pm today Barb, Cheryl
and I had this bird fly right over our heads at Van Wagners Beach flying
east along the Lake Ontario shoreline.  We were actually having lunch
and cocktails at the Lakeland Bistro outdoor patio after a session of
lakewatching so had our optics handy.  I happened to look up and saw
this large shorebird about 20 m overhead and got the others on it.  It
was obviously a very large curlew having a very long decurved bill and
bright buffy colour on the body and wings.  I managed to get it in a
scope as it flew down the beach towards Hutches Restaurant then lost it
behind some trees.  Cheryl grabbed her scope and ran down to the
shoreline and picked it up again standing on the shoreline farther down
in Confederation Park close to the waterslide.  She saw it go to the
water and take a drink, then a gull chased it and it looked like it
landed on the shore a bit farther down.  Barb and I didn't get on it
again.  Since our lunch had arrived, we asked for it to go, Cheryl put
the original post out on Ontbirds, and we made some phone calls to a few
local birders, then we drove into Confederation Park and checked the
shoreline here but could not refind it.  After a while, we went to Fifty
Point C.A. since this bird was moving east, but had no luck with it
there.  We ran into some of the other birders who were out looking but
no one had seen it.  We eventually went back to Van Wagners Beach and
joined others looking for it, but as of 6:00 pm it hadn't been refound.
Unfortunately, the beach areas were very busy with people today so there
really wasn't anywhere for it to stick around.  Too bad, but a very
exciting find for us!

Directions to Van Wagners Beach:  Take the Centennial Parkway (Hwy.20)
exit from the QEW in east Hamilton and proceed north to the North
Service Rd., turn left and continue west as it turns into Van Wagners
Road. Continue to the parking lots at either Hutch's Restaurant or the
Lakeland Centre viewing tower and view the lake anywhere near here.

Cheers,

Rob Dobos
Dundas, Ont.
rdo...@cogeco.ca