Hello everyone:

As of this morning (9am-10am) the MARBLED GODWIT is still present on the
mudflats around the Shirley's Bay dyke.  Two AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVERS and a
BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER were seen grooming together.  I observed one LONG-BILLED
DOWITCHER, but there may have been more that I missed.  Also present were
several STILT SANDPIPERS, numerous GREATER and LESSER YELLOWLEGS, PECTORAL
SANDPIPERS, and a few SOLITARY SANDPIPERS that were foraging together very
close to the dyke.

Unfortunately, no sign of the NELSON'S SHARP-TAILED SPARROW that had been
reported earlier this week.  According to one birder (Norm) I spoke to, a GREAT
EGRET was also skulking around behind some cattails, but I did not observe this
bird myself.

Good birding!

Pat

DIRECTIONS (courtesy Bruce DiLabio):

>From Ottawa take Hwy. 417 west to the Moodie Drive exit and turn north (right)
>on Moodie Drive and continue to Carling Ave. Turn left at Carling Ave. and
>follow Carling to Rifle Road. Turn right (north) on Rifle Rd. Park at the lot
>at the end (boat launch). Walk back to the road, and continue through the gate
>on the Department of National Defense property. There is a trail on your right
>(clearly marked with vehicle "No Entry" signs) which heads into the woods,
>and, eventually to the dyke. There is lots of POISON IVY along the dyke.

**** PLEASE NOTE**** YOU MUST OBTAIN PERMISSION FROM THE RANGE CONTROL OFFICE
BEFORE ENTERING THE DYKE AREA -- Call (613) 991-5740 and request permission to
visit the dyke area for birding.