Jan Slumkoski and I birded the Ottawa Beach area this morning where the
highlights were:
Lesser Black-backed Gull, Bonaparte's Gull, both Ruby-crowned and
Golden-crowned Kinglets, 1 Turkey Vulture and a Solitary Sandpiper.

Later in the morning at Britannia Conservation Area at the west end of the
ridge between the ridge and Cassels road we found:
1 Ruffed Grouse, 4 Yellow-Rumped Warblers, 1 Turkey Vulture.
An hour later I found at least 6 Hermit Thrushes, a Swainson's Thrush and a
Winter Wren here.  I couldn't relocate the grouse.

On the west side of the woods behind the houses we found:
1 Hermit Thrush, 2 Flickers, Eastern Phoebe, Great Crested Flycatcher,
Ruby-crowned Kinglets and a Yellow- Rumped Warbler.

On the main path, closer to Mud Lake we found 1 Winter Wren.

In the afternoon at Shirley's Bay there were:
2 Bald Eagles soaring over the Dyke (1 near adult and a second or third year
bird), 1 Turkey Vulture, 4 Goldeneye, 14 Lesser Scaup, 6 White-crowned
Sparrows, 2 Dark-eyed Juncos.

Directions:

Ottawa Beach

From the west exit highway 417 at Acres Road and head north about 1km to
Carling. Turn right on Carling and immediately merge to the far left to turn
left into the Andrew Haydon Park Water Park & Picnic Ground parking lot. A well
worn path just north of the playground leads to Ottawa Beach. From the east
exit highway 417 at Richmond Road/Bayshore Drive and follow Bayshore Drive
north to Carling. Turn left at Carling and watch for the above mentioned
parking lot on your right approximately 1.5km down the road.

Britannia Conservation Area /Mud Lake

Exit highway 417 at Pinecrest Road and head north. At Richmond Road turn right
and immediately merge into the far left lane. The left lane defaults into a
left turn lane onto Poulin Ave after Carling. Turn left onto Poulin and
continue north until the road makes a 90 degree left and becomes Howe. Continue
west along Howe a short distance until the first four way stop. At this four
way stop turn right onto Britannia Road and follow Britannia Road until its end
at Cassels. Turn right onto Cassels and park on the side the road near the
entrance to Mud Lake.

Shirley's Bay

From Ottawa take Hwy. 417 west to the Moodie Drive exit and turn north (right)
on  Moodie Drive and continue to Carling Ave. Turn left at Carling Ave. and
follow Carling to Rifle Road. Turn right (north) on Rifle Rd. Park at the lot
at the end (boat launch).

Richard Waters