I stopped by the Grand Bend sewage lagoons this morning and was pleased to find
a red-necked phalarope among the usual assortment of ducks.  The bird was found
in the north east corner of the 3rd cell both on my way in and later on the way
out.  Around the edges of the lagoons were good numbers of yellow-rumps, and
palm warblers along with lots of white-throated and white-crowned sparrows.

Driving south out of Grand Bend I stopped by the Southbend Estates development
site to see the 3 massive Bur Oaks trees (1 nearly 2 m in diameter) in the
field and was pleased to see them protected for now with fencing.  Walking from
highway 21 to the trees I came across several hermit thrush, swainsons thrush,
yellow-rumps, a Nashville a couple of Blue headed vireos along with all the
other 'to be expecteds'.

The Grand Bend sewage lagoons can be found 1 concession east of the main lights
along Highway 21.  Going east from the lights turn south on Mollard line and
travel roughly 1km.  The lagoons are on the west side of the road.

The Southbend Estates is a not yet developed site on the west side of Highway
21 roughly 2km or so south of the main lights.  What I had once known as the
main entrance a couple of years ago ( a dirt path through the woods) is now
marked by a pile of asphalt that cannot be driven over with a car.  The bur
oaks can be found about 200m from the highway.

Good birding,
Brett Woodman, Kitchener