Dear Ontbirds,

     Strong Northwest winds produced a remarkable day of raptor migration
along the Lake Erie shoreline in sw. Ontario.  Among the impressive flight
of Turkey Vultures at Holiday Beach Conservation Area in Amherstburg, were 2
light morph SWAINSON'S HAWKS and a MISSISSIPPI KITE.  I do not have
specifics on the kite as it was not observed from the Hawk Tower, but it
apparently passed between 11:50 and 11:55 AM (at the same time as the first
Swainson's).  It was studied by several credible observers from both raptor
banding stations to the east of the Tower.

     I also would like to clear up some mis-information in my prior
posting.  The 5,710 Turkey Vultures recorded on Sunday, 11 October, was NOT
an all-time high and, in fact, it wasn't even close.  Sunday's count ranks
third behind a record-high of 20,032 on 9 Oct 2005 and 7,312 on 20 Oct
2006.  Someone led me to believe Sunday's count was a new high and I
listened without doing further digging.

Cheers,
Justin

--
Justin Bosler
Official Counter and Interpretive Biologist