Hello everyone:

I arrived early at Algonquin (around 7:30am) and was delighted to find a pair
of BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKERS boring into a telephone pole between Kilometers
54-55.  Judging by the number of holes in most of the poles there, I would say
the woodpeckers frequent this area.

Next I headed over to the old airfield, where I ran into fellow Ottawa birder
Brian Young.  We searched for the LE CONTE'S SPARROWS that had been observed
last week by Mike Burrell and Lev Frid, but came up empty.  It was rather cold
this morning, and a thin layer of snow was covering most of the park, so it's
likely the sparrows have moved on.  On the bright side, we did find several
AMERICAN TREE SPARROWS and WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS and at least two dozen HORNED
LARKS.  Eight COMMON MERGANSERS were lined up on a log in Lake of Two Rivers.

Our next stop was to the Spruce Bog, where we fed about five GRAY JAYS.
According to another birder we met there (didn't get a name), there was a pair
of SPRUCE GROUSE, which we missed by mere minutes.  About ten HERMIT THRUSHES
were also present, as were a few AMERICAN ROBINS.

At this point Brian headed over to the Visitor's Centre, to return to the
airfield after a quick bite, and I carried on to Opeongo Road.  At the parking
area off of the old logging road, I found another female BLACK-BACKED
WOODPECKER.  There were two more GRAY JAYS, and a smattering of DARK-EYED
JUNCOS, WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS, and YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS.  No sign or sound
of any BOREAL CHICKADEES, however.

Good birding!

Pat

DIRECTIONS (courtesy Lev Frid):

Algonquin Park is three hours north of Toronto, via Highways 400, 11 and
60.Follow the signs, which start in Toronto on Highway 400. From Ottawa, take
Highway 17 to Renfrew, then follow Highway 60 to the park.

OLD AIRFIELD: located along the Mew Lake Campground access road, park at a
small parking lot on the left at the beginning of the Old Railway Bike Trail
and walk around the airfield.

BL.-BACKED WOODPECKERS: Along Hwy 60, across from the Leaf Lake ski trail
parking area.