The most interesting bird this week was a small juvenile Canada Goose
(probably a runt of the Interior race) at the Opeongo Access Point that I
initially thought was a Cackling Goose. We had doubts after seeing Michael
Runtz's photos of the bird today, and later expert opinions from Ken Abraham
and Ron Pittaway set the record straight.

A Brown Thrasher at Mew Lake Campground on October 17 was notable as this
species is rare here at any time now, and the date tied our second latest
fall record.

Bald Eagles were reported from Canisbay and Lake of Two Rivers.

A Golden Eagle flew over Lake of Two Rivers on October 22.

The Old Airfield produced American Pipits, Rusty Blackbirds and two Eastern
Bluebirds on October 18.

The only winter finch reported was Evening Grosbeak, with small numbers at
the Visitor Centre and elsewhere along Highway 60.

Spruce Grouse: singles on Spruce Bog Boardwalk and Bat Lake Trail (October
17).

Gray Jay: Spruce Bog Boardwalk; Opeongo Road and near Wolf Howl Pond.

Boreal Chickadee: Wolf Howl Pond area on Mizzy Lake Trail.

No reports this week of Black-backed Woodpecker.

Good birding. As always, we would appreciate receiving your observations for
our Visitor Centre records.

Ron Tozer
Algonquin Park Naturalist (retired)
Dwight, Ontario

Directions:
Algonquin Park is three hours north of Toronto, via Highways
400, 11 and 60. Follow the signs, which start in Toronto on
Highway 400. From Ottawa, take Highway 17 to Renfrew, then
follow Highway 60 to the park. Kilometre markers along Highway
60 in the Park go from the West Gate (km 0) to the East Gate
(km 56). Get your park permit and the park tabloid (with a map
of birding locations mentioned here) at the gates.

The Visitor Centre at km 43 has recent bird sightings, feeders, and
information. The centre is open daily until November 1, from
10 am to 5 pm.