Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 21:32:30 -0400
To: Ont Birds
From: Alf Rider <ari...@xcelco.on.ca>
Subject: SARNIA to GRAND BEND BIRDING.

Hello Everyone.
Starting at 8.00am. at the Point Edward Lighthouse, a group of us located the PEREGRINES, one sitting on a blue light fitting on the Blue Water Bridge. A single RED-THROATED LOON, still in breeding plumage flew overhead and out of the lake on a SE direction.

Below in the Lake, we were able to find a small group of BLACK SCOTERS and a couple of LONG-TAILED DUCKS were a long way out. HERRING, RING-BILLED, and BONAPARTE'S GULLS were flying around. We drove around the lake in Canatara Park but missed the BRANT GOOSE. There were two slightly smaller geese among the CANADAS which were possibly 'Richardson's' Geese. Also on Lake Chipican, were about fifty REDHEADS. This flock will spend much of the Fall building up to about 10,000 birds and be matched in numbers by CANVASBACKS out in Lake Huron before they move out, many to Lake St. Clair and Rondeau Park first before leaving for less icy waters.

At Kettle Point we found an AMERICAN AVOCET, 34 DUNLIN and a Gt. YELLOWLEGS. It was later reported that another three Avocets were later seen there. After a good Lunch at CJ's Cafe in Thedford we proceeded to the Grand Bend sewage Lagoons down Mollard Line. (On Sundays the cafe closes at 11am.)

There was heavy movement of SCAUP Sp. from the north down the Lake all day, involving a few thousand birds. At GBSL. we found that the N. SHOVELLERS had moved out, leaving MALLARD, Am. WIGEON, GADWALL --which gave us very good views of the wing patch both on the water and in flight. More REDHEADS but the male CANVASBACK was not there but a female remained. About 45 GREEN-WINGED TEAL were flying around but the BLUE-WINGED TEALS moved out early in October. Lots of BUFFLEHEADS and RUDDY DUCKS were reluctant to fly. About 70 SCAUP including about ten LESSER'S were accompanied by 2 male and a female RINGNECK.

A single female-plumaged COMMON GOLDENEYE also flew around. She has been there for three days.

The only hawk that was there was an Adult REDTAIL. The 'Merlin post' was empty.

Quite a bird-filled day, especially for those welcome 'New' Birders.

Good Birding.

Alf.