I took my father-in-law on a tour of local birding hotspots, in the hopes of
helping him find some species he had never seen before.

At Strathcona Park, we located two of the male BARROW'S GOLDENEYE that have
been regular fixtures there recently.  We also managed to relocate the COMMON
YELLOWTHROAT I first reported last weekend.

We next headed to Baxter Conservation Area, finding twenty-three WILD TURKEYS
in a field off of Prince of Wales Drive near Barnsdale Road.  At Baxter, we
relocated the BARRED OWL near the beginning of the Hare Trail, a freshly killed
squirrel in its talons.  At the Interpretive Centre were DARK-EYED JUNCOS and
AMERICAN TREE SPARROWS at the feeders; a RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH made a brief
appearance.

The only other thing of note on our trip was another flock of about thirty WILD
TURKEYS off of Corkstown Road near March Road.

Happy holidays to you all, and good birding in 2010!

Pat

DIRECTIONS:

- Strathcona Park is located on Range Road, south of Laurier Avenue, across the
river from the Rideau Tennis Courts.

- Baxter Conservation Area is located off of the 416 at exit 42. Head east on
Dilworth Road for 3km, then turn right onto Carter Road. The C.A. is
well-signed.