Another visit to "Sarnia Bay" this morning was fruitful, despite the low number
of gulls.

Found: 1 Lesser Black-backed Gull (adult), 1 Iceland Gull (1st winter), only 4
Glaucous Gulls (all imm.) ("only" because there were up to 10 a week ago), only
3 Great Black-backed G. I then decided to go to the bridges and the Point
Edward Lighthouse to check the lake. There I found several more Great
Black-backed (still, only about 20), and 1 adult Glaucous. The birds were
widely dispersed over the lake and in the great quantity of ice flowing
downstream.
Other birds: plenty of Long-tailed ducks, all 3 mergansers, numerous
Canvasbacks and Redheads up close, Common Goldeneyes, Buffleheads, Mallards of
course, and the odd Coot.

Directions: To Sarnia Bay/St-Clair River, in Sarnia, take London Road all the
way to Front Street, there is a parking lot right there by the water and a
walkway along the river.
To Point Edward lighthouse and the bridges that cross the river: in Sarnia,
simply follow Michigan Road all the way to the bridges, there is a parking lot
right by the water, here too, a walkway follows the river to the lake.

Paolo Viola,
Sarnia