Today Ann Brokelman & I had a successful trip to the above area, inspired by
Tyler's earlier post this week. We were rewarded with 15 ospreys in total, some
already having staked out their territory by occupying "prime location" nesting
spots. These "early birds" were now having to defend their spots against the
flood of incoming migrants, we had spectacular views of four of them at times
battling it out. Most of the action occurred on the N shore of Rice Lake, ie
along or on sideroads that run south of road # 2; road #2 runs parallel to the
north shore of Rice Lake. Also heard our 1st Eastern Meadowlark of the season
in the same area, but no visuals. First Eastern Phoebe of the season seen at
the old Mill in Port Hope.

Janice Melendez- Whitby