Not surprisingly the nest that I reported a month ago that was attached to a float near the boats did not last long. The marina was later than normal in placing the nest tires out this year but two tires are now in the usual area. This afternoon we observed an egg on each tire. The east tire was attended by a pair of grebes and has nest material on the tire. The west tire simply had one egg and one stick with no grebes in attendance. There is an additional nest in on Bronte Creek in a location that is very vulnerable to fluctuations in water level, wake from passing boats and predation. Mink and raccoons are present in the area.

Directions: Exit the QEW at Bronte Rd. and go to the lake and turn left at Ontario Street. Park near the Compass Lakeside Gill and Lounge (formerly Lighthouse Restaurant). The nests are just east of the restaurant and easily visible. By public transport: Oakville Transit bus 2 from the Bronte GO Train Station or bus 14 from the Oakville Station. Get off at Nelson Street and walk to the lake.

Cliff Swallows are once again nesting under the eaves of the restaurant.

Gavin Edmondstone
Oakville, Ontario