With Carol Horner's help, Kevin Shackleton and I caught a glimpse of the BB
Whistling Duck (his head only) minutes before it and the family of mallards it
was with disappeared into the reeds.  Although the birds were little more than
10 metres from where we stood at the fenceline they stayed completely out of
sight (and silent) for over an hour after that.

Carol mentions 9:10 a.m. in her post, though I think it was actually 10:10.  We
arrived at 10:15, had that quick glimpse of the bird, then waited around until
11:30 before the mallards and their anomalous friend finally emerged from the
reeds and swam back across the pond (from west to east), offering excellent
views.  Any other visitors to the pond who don't see the BB whistling duck at
first might want to wait a bit before leaving.   If we had not crossed paths
with Carol and Craig it would have been easy to assume the duck was long gone.

Ron Fleming, Newmarket

Directions as previously posted:

>From the west end of Picton at the traffic lights take Lake Street from the
LCBO and follow south (Lake Street becomes County Road 10) about 9 km to
Cherry Valley. At the stop sign in Cherry Valley, turn left and follow C.R.
10 to Milford. The ponds are 10 km from the turn in Cherry Valley. Upon
reaching Milford, turn left at the stop sign (a T or 3-way intersection),
then right again at the post office in Milford, and continue on C.R.10 for
about 2-3 km. The ponds are on a farm to your left on the bend of the
highway just beyond and across from the intersection of Royal Road.