(posted by Terry Sprague for Sue Meech of the Sandy Pines Wildlife Centre)

Yellow-nosed Albatross update
July 22nd

The bird has gained weight over the last two days. Also getting a bit feisty and resisting treatment! Watch out for that bill!. We are hand feeding him still, with an occasional tube feeding to increase his intake. X-rays reveal no lead and no trauma. Our Volunteer Vet will look tomorrow to see if there is any evidence of Aspergilla, a fungal growth that is caused by stressful situations, such as malnutrition. Aspergilla is present in the soil and is not a problem unless a bird is debilitated then it becomes an opportunistic disease. We are treating the albatross for this just in case. We are investigating possible transfer of the bird now that he is stronger to a more suitable facility, preferably one that has sea water and salt water food available. We have to work with Canadian Wildlife Services to get permission to transport this bird. Nova Scotia is one option. Massachusetts another possibility.

Albatrosses don't usually have any association with humans in the wild. To avoid trauma to the bird during this critical period, it will not be possible for birders to see this bird while it is at the facility. We thank all birders who have already respected this request.

Sue Meech
Sandy Pines Wildlife Centre
Napanee Ontario
Canada