On Thursday, July 29th, 2010, this is the HNC Birding Report:

Common Goldeneye
Red-necked Grebe
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Northern Harrier
Solitary Sandpiper
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper
Bonaparte's Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Northern Saw-whet Owl
Great Crested Flycatcher
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Bay-breasted Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
American Redstart
Hooded Warbler
Orchard Orioles

There seems to be a bit of movement of birds in the Hamilton Study Area this
week as we approach August.

A walk in Joe Sam's Leisure Park sometimes known as Waterdown Wetlands
(located on Waterdown Road on the east side, just south of the fifth
Concession East) yielded a few migrant warblers earlier in the week.  These
included Chestnut-sided, Bay-breasted, Black-and-white Warbler, American
Redstart and Hooded Warbler.  It is possible that a couple of these species
bred in the area but it is hard to tell at this time of year.  Great Crested
Flycatcher and Easter Wood Pewee were also seen here.

Shorebirds are still present in changing numbers this week.  At the Monoghan
Mushroom farm on Guelph Line north of Derry Road, Solitary Sandpiper, Lesser
Yellowlegs, Least and Pectoral Sandpiper were present earlier in the week.
At the Red Hill Stormwater Pond, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs and
Semipalmated Sandpiper were seen here early in the week.  Great Egret, Great
Blue Heron and Black-crowned Night Heron can also be found here.

Most of this week's sightings seem to be in the odds and sods category.  Six
Common Goldeneye were seen flying past Bronte Harbour, an unusual sighting
for this time of year.  A Hooded Warbler was seen at Rattray Marsh last
Sunday.  A gathering of Red-necked Grebes are also present out on the lake
here.  A female Northern Harrier was seen on 8th Road East in Salfleet.
Also found here along the Dofasco Trail at 10th Road East was a female
Orchard Oriole with young.  This species will soon disappear from the area.
A Bonaparte's Gull and a Great Black-backed Gull were species seen from
Canada Centre for Inland Waters today. Another Great Egret was seen on a
walk on Wednesday night in Cootes Paradise.

Of special interest this week was the report of a Northern Saw-whet Owl
which was heard responding to a Barred Owl tape during an owl survey earlier
in the week.  It has been brought to our attention that this may be a bird
from the Mountsberg Rehabilitation Centre.  The bird was wearing jesses and
a hess band and disappeared from them Tuesday, July 20th.  This bird was
heard south of Guelph in the Aberfoyle area.  Obviously any other sightings
or calls from this bird should be forwarded, please let me know and I can
contact Mountsberg.  That's the news this week, time to start looking for
migrants again.  Please let me know what you see.

Good birding,
Cheryl Edgecombe
HNC Hotline
905-381-0329