Hi Everyone!

I know - I promised more frequent updates, but I've been caught up in the
Monarch migration frenzy in the last week and haven't had time to post, let
alone look at many birds.

There are birds around...I'm happy to report.
We are still seeing a nice diversity of warblers in the park - still good
numbers of Blackpolls, as well as Bay-breasted, Blackburnian,
Black-throated blue, Black-throated green, Black & White, Magnolia,
Chestnut-sided, Tennessee, Nashville, Palm, Yellow-rumped and more reported
in the last week.

We've been seeing vireos as well - lots of Red-eyed and Philadelphia, and
there have been reports of Blue-headed as well.

As you've seen in other parts of the province, hawk migration has really
picked up in the last week and we've noted this here as well.  Monday was
the first morning where we were seeing lots of Sharpies at the Tip.
DeLaurier is another great hawk watching place - this morning, both
Cooper's and Sharp-shinned were actively hunting around the parking lot and
Merlin was noted as well.

I've been enjoying a great display of thrushes outside my office window -
the most common species this week has been grey-cheeked, though I've also
noted Swainson's, Veery and Hermit Thrushes in the mix.  Wood Thrushes have
been reported in the park this week as well.

I was out to Hillman Marsh and area last night with Jim Pawlicki (Offical
Hawk Counter for Holiday Beach) and was pleasantly surprised to find a nice
assortment of shorebirds.  The shorebird cell is currently planted with a
cover crop, so it's not at all productive.  However, the water in the pond
just east of the main entrance to the park is very low and was great.
Highlights included Stilt Sandpiper (9), Baird's Sandpiper, lots of
Yellowlegs, Pectoral Sandpiper, lots of Great egrets (including the
wing-tagged individual that has been previously reported) and a Great Blue
Heron beating up a Double-crested Cormorant!  We also checked out the
southwest side of the marsh (we drove down the now no exit road and stood
on the dike) and there is more shorebird habitat there.  We saw additional
Stilt Sandpipers and Black-bellied Plovers.  Ideal habitat for godwits,
though we didn't find any.  There was no sign of the Ibis reported earlier
in the week.

We also stopped by the soccer fields on Mersea Rd 12, just north of the
Park.  The soccer fields were empty, but the ploughed field on the east
side of the road was productive.  We saw 2 Buff-breasted Sandpipers, 25+ Am
Golden Plovers, Black-bellied Plovers and Semipalmated Plovers.

For those interested in monarchs - we've had a great week, up until
Wednesday, when most butterflies departed on lovely north breezes.  We've
had a report of a nice cluster of butterflies at the park gate, so there
are definitely more to come.  You can follow the progress of fall migration
on Twitter.com/PointPeleeNP or on our website www.parkscanada.gc.ca/pelee

Good birding everyone - an update to follow early next week!

Sarah

Sarah Rupert
Sr. Park Interpreter, Interpretation Coordinator
Interprète de parc principale, Coordinatrice d'interprétation
Point Pelee National Park/Parc  national de la Pointe-Pelée
Parks Canada/Parcs Canada

519.322.5700 ext/poste 223
519.322.1678 (fax/téléc)
sarah.rup...@pc.gc.ca