This morning brought a scad of migrants to the woods and area, and today will

likely be the best day to bird Highland Woods.

WHITE and RED BREASTED NUTHATCHES are everywhere. As are the DOWNYS and

FLICKERS.

Initially entering the open area, I had my first GOLDEN CROWNED KINGLETS of the

fall, a small group of 4 birds. I also had RUBY CROWNED KINGLET, then a RUBY

THROATED HUMMINGBIRD gathering nectar from Jewelweed.

A large flock of WHITE THROATED SPARROWS has invaded the woods as well. I had 13

this morning. A surprise appearance, and only my third record of this bird, a

LINCOLN'S SPARROW was also present.

Continuing on I had the OLIVE SIDED FLYCATCHER, which has now been viewed by

many, and has been around for a week or so.It is really easy to find. There are

also a couple LEAST FLYCATCHERS in the area.

A single SWAINSON'S THRUSH was spotted.

Warblers included NASHVILLE, WILSON'S, AMERICAN REDSTART, YELLOW RUMPED,

TENESSEE,BLACK THROATED GREEN and BAY BREASTED.

I also had a few butterflies. PEARL CRESCENT X2, COMMON WOOD NYMPH X 1, plus the

sulphurs, a few of each.

You can call the Highland Woods Birding Hotline anytime at 226-663-8163 for a

guided tour. And I could use some help with some of these warblers (2 I could

not ID today).

Len