DRHW- Lake Erie Metropark
Brownstown, Michigan, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Nov 24, 2010

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture               0           2829         122324
Osprey                       0              0             63
Bald Eagle                   0             16            214
Northern Harrier             0             58            464
Sharp-shinned Hawk           0             49           6504
Cooper's Hawk                1             90            832
Northern Goshawk             0             11             19
Red-shouldered Hawk          0            210            487
Broad-winged Hawk            0              0          79572
Red-tailed Hawk              3           1874           3203
Rough-legged Hawk            0             29             29
Golden Eagle                 0             50             68
American Kestrel             0              2            675
Merlin                       0              4             52
Peregrine Falcon             0              3             40
Unknown Accipiter            0              1              1
Unknown Buteo                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0             17
Prairie Falcon               0              0              3
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              5

Total:                       4           5226         214572

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end   time: 13:00:00
Total observation time: 3 hours

Official Counter:        Rob Payne

Observers:        Jim Maki, Rodney Laura

Visitors:
There are 6 days left of the season, but my optimism lives on. This weekend
is our last chance for a major push to go on the books. I think it's
possible, and the more eyes we get the better.

Here is a call to all dedicated hawk watchers and blog followers. If you
have the ability and the availability, come down this weekend. Bring your
warm weather clothes, some optics, and maybe some charcoal. Let's make this
final weekend count.

For the list-serve folk:
If you haven't been here before, don't let the recent numbers sway you.
Visit www.drhawkwatch.org for information about what we do.

Weather:
Today was a sunless breezy day, mixed with the typical November low
temperatures. Winds from the north east were moderate around 7mph, with
gusts barely over 10mph. In short, it was incredibly cold sitting out there
facing the breeze.

Raptor Observations:
Well it's officially the time of season for low numbers, so our 4 birds
today are right on par. I saw more raptors on my way home (locals) than I
saw at the count.

Non-raptor Observations:
Our local female Long-tailed Duck was back in the American Coot raft near
the count site. Tundra Swans numbers are increasing with 217 seen
throughout the count period.

Predictions:
Tomorrow looks to be an all day rain out. It will start tonight and
continue on through late tomorrow night. It looks like the only bird
watching we'll be doing tomorrow is watching the Turkey in the oven.

Friday shows more precipitation in the afternoon, mostly snow is the
expected. Saturday through Monday is going to be sunnier and warmer, but
still seasonably cool. That three day period is the best bet we have to get
some higher numbers.
Report submitted by Greg Norwood (greg_norw...@fws.gov)
SMRR- Lake Erie Metropark information may be found at:
http://www.drhawkwatch.org