Ross Snider, James Holdsworth and I had a great day of late fall migrant watching along the Lake Huron shoreline in southern Huron County between Grand Bend and Bayfield. The weather forecast was for moderate E winds at Goderich and NE winds at Kincardine, farther north along the lake which are the best wind directions that cause southbound migrants to drift towards the Lake Huron shoreline where they concentrate [just as northerly winds cause migrants to pile up along the Lake Erie or Lake Ontario shorelines. We weren't disappointed.

As Alf Rider has already reported, migrants were moving along the shoreline in good numbers today. Cynthia Cook saw 4 flocks of Sandhill Cranes numbering 325 birds today in north Lambton just south of Kettle Point . Between 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. we saw 10 flocks of cranes totaling 691 birds ranging in flock size from 6 birds to a massive flock of 250 birds. From prior experience we assumed that the flocks of Sandhill Cranes would disperse through Lambton just south of Grand Bend where the shoreline bends to the west towards Kettle Point. However, it appears that at least some of today's migrants continued to follow the Lake Huron shoreline. Birders should consider a trip to the Lake Huron shoreline north of Grand Bend in mid to late November just to see the large numbers of Sandhill Cranes. In previous years our group has seen large numbers of cranes on most visits during this time frame. On November 10, 2007, Ross and James saw 80 cranes and on November 18, they counted 837 birds, surely a record high count for southwestern Ontario. On November 11, 2009, four of us saw 27 cranes.

But, it's not just Sandhill Cranes that follow the Lake Huron shoreline. Ross and James showed in 2007, that astounding numbers of Rough-legged Hawks follow this route in mid to late November. On November 10, 2007, they had 143 individuals and on November 18, 77 individuals. Either of these one day [half day, actually] counts surpasses the YEAR count for most Lake Erie hawk migration counting sites [Hawk Cliff, Holiday Beach and Erie Metropark]. Today was another high count for Rough-legged Hawks with 37 individuals in just 5 hours. [There were still birds migrating when we called it a day at 2:30 p.m.]

Golden Eagles also, migrate along the lake in impressive numbers. Today's count was 7 individuals. Counts in other years were 13 on Nov 10 and 26 on Nov 18, 2007 and 7 birds on Nov 11, 2009.

The rest of today's raptor count included 14 Northern Harriers 35 Red-tailed, 1 Sharp-shinned, 3 Cooper's and 2 Red-shouldered Hawks and at least 5 Bald Eagles.

Other interesting sightings were 75 Snow Geese, 1 Northern Shrike, a Red-throated Loon in the lake off Hendrick's Drive and fields full of Snow Buntings [2500+], Lapland Longspurs [60+] and Horned Larks.

Directions
Hwy 21 runs north from Grand Bend to Bayfield about 0.5 to 1 km inland from the lake shore. There are about 12 sideroads in this stretch of highway. You can pull off Hwy 21 onto most of the sideroads and find a place to park along the side of the road within a few 100 metres of Hwy 21. We prefer Hendricks Road in the south and Crystal Springs Road in the north. Hendrick's and a couple of other sideroads also provide a lookout over the lake. Once parked, watch inland to the east and west towards the shoreline to determine whether the flight lines are close to the shore or further inland. An almost continuous line of woodland running north and south about 3 km inland provides a flight path on some days. Once you've determined the flight line you can move closer to the shoreline or farther inland. The flight path may change during the day as well so move accordingly. Today, the flight path was inland in the morning, near the lake shore in early afternoon and then shifted back inland around 2:30 p.m. Based on 12 visits in 2007, 2009 and 2010, we believe that the best winds for a good flight are E to N winds. To determine the best conditions, check the wind directions for Goderich and Kincardine to the north which is where the hawks are coming from.

Dave Martin, Ross Snider and James Holdsworth
damar...@xplornet.com