Hi Ontbirders:

The large flock of Bohemian Waxwings I found last Friday (likely same flock that Don Wigle reported at a nearby location same day) is still being seen at both the Fletcher Wildlife Gardens and the adjacent Arboretum. Although the flock numbers between 200 to 300 birds, they often break up into smaller groups. The waxwings were feeding at both mentioned locations but mostly in the Arboretum due to the many berry and crabapple trees located there. A Sharp-Shinned Hawk was seen hunting the waxwings. Late in the day while some of the waxwings were feeding in a crabapple tree, the hawk swooped in and claimed one of the lovely birds. I took a photo of the hawk perched in the snow with the waxwing still in its grasp. The hawk later flew it onto the ice giving a good look at the squared tail feathers. Thanks.

Sharp-Shinned Hawk with Bohemian Waxwing.
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/image/130747594/original

Backside view of Hawk on the ice.
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/image/130748284/original

W. Hum
www.pbase.com/golfpic

Directions:
FWG is located on Prince of Wales not far from Baseline Road/Heron Road. The arboretum is adjacent to the FWG.