For the third time in less than a month I have seen upwards of 700 American
Coots in a long straggly flock at the south end of Lake Simcoe.  The first time
was reported by Ron Fleming on November 13.  I saw the large flock again on
November 27 and their identity was confirmed by a duck hunter returning to the
boat launch at Walter Street and Lake Drive S. in Keswick.  I did a rough count
of the flock again today and estimated 700 again.  Keep in mind that the duck
hunt is in full swing and the sound of shotgun blasts can be heard here.
Ducks, geese and swans are staying close to the eastern shore of the lake, but
I doubt many hunters want to eat an old coot.  I did attempt to photograph the
assembly.
There are many, small private parks along lake drive allowing viewing access to
the lake, but parking is sometimes tricky.
At Glenwood Beach Park I had reasonable looks at a large mixed flock of
waterfowl that I estimate held 1000 Common Goldeneye and 1000 Lesser Scaup.
There were about 10 Hooded Mergansers, 100 Redheads and at least one pair of
Canvasbacks.  Closer to shore were Mallards and Canada Geese. The park is on
Lake Dr. a little south of Glenwoods Dr.
There is another parkette at Parkway and Lake Dr. and similar groups of birds
were seen there.
To get to the last spot I visited one has to go north on Leslie St. to the fork
where one goes west along Metro Road S and travel past The Corner House
Restaurant to Shorecrest Rd and turn left to Lake Drive.  There were two groups
of Tundra Swans near shore with several cygnets in company.  There were also
lots of the other ducks mentioned.
At that point I also hada another 1000 Common Goldeneye further from shore as
well as whirling and diving Bonaparte's Gulls.
I did check the Ravenshoe Flats area for Snowy Owl without success, but did
have two Northern Harriers and a Rough-legged Hawk.
Kevin Shackleton