Today, Barb Charlton, Dave Don, Chris Street and I embarked on another
winter listing adventure in the Greater Toronto Area.

After an hour an a half of cold wait we were able to relocate the Wood
Thrush along but behind the wire fence at the west end of Lynde Shores
Conservation Area in Whitby.   Patience is a must as the bird is difficult
to see.  It was quite a distance behind the fence and it was only sheer luck
that while I was scanning, I saw the leaves toss up.

After this, it was off to the concrete jungle for the Lincoln’s Sparrow.  We
had more trouble locating parking than the Sparrow but found it in the
bushes near the skating rink at College Park at the southeast corner of Bay
and College.

After this, we went to East Humber Bay park to try for the Common
Yellowthroat found by Mark Peck and Owen Novaselec on the count last
weekend.  After a bit of a search the bird flushed in the area it was seen
on the count.  Also a good place to look is the little marshy area across
the road from this to the north where it flew after being flushed.
A Long-eared Owl was in the pines near the parking lot being mobbed by
crows.

All in all a very good day, albeit cold.

Directions:

Wood Thrush

If coming from the west, Lynde Shores can be reached by exiting 401 at Salem
Rd. and then going south to Victoria/Bayly and then east past Hall's Rd to
the next parking lot on the right side of the road. Park here and follow the
private road to the trail into the woods due south of the parking lot. If
coming from the east, exit 401 at Brock St., then south to Victoria/Bayly
then east to Lynde Shores.

Cross the bridge and immediately turn to the right.  Follow the trail to the
west for a bit until it turns south again.  When you turn south, you will
notice a bird feeder with a bench.  This is a good vantage point at which to
scan back to see the wire fence which runs along the west end of the
woodlot.

Lincoln’s Sparrow

College Park is on the southeast corner of Bay St and College St. in
Toronto.  There is a public lot at 777 Bay Street.

Common Yellowthroat

If you park at Humber Bay East (bottom of Park Lawn) and walk east toward
the big white bridge at the mouth of the Humber River, take the trail
closest to the water. Along the way you will pass a Park sign that says
something like "Humber Bayshore Park" (not sure if that is the exact name).
Just a little east of there you will see some red osier dogwoods and
forsythias (I think) on the north side of the trail and some planted grasses
on the south side. If you come to Palace Pier you have gone too far.

Cheers,
Cheryl Edgecombe