Hi Ontbirders,

At lunch today Deb Stevenson and I went looking for the male Northern Pintail
on the Rideau River in Manotick (just south of Ottawa).  We found him resting
on the ice on the north side of the bridge near the bend.  While scanning the
flock, we were surprised when we discovered a female American Wigeon as well.
She was resting on the ice at first, then began swimming toward the bridge. We
had great views of her until she and the mallards closest to her flew up into
the air, circled the river, and took off in a southeasterly direction.  As we
had seen several ducks flying in from that direction, it is possible there is
open water or a spot where people feed the birds somewhere south of the bridge.
 It seems highly likely she is still in the area.

Directions
 to Watson's Mill courtesy of Neily World: From Highway 416 (The
Veteran's Memorial Highway) take exit 57 (Bankfield Road) and turn
northeast on it. Follow Bankfield 4.0 km  northeast to Rideau Valley
Drive/Main Street, then turn right or southeast onto Main Street. Go 0.3
 km to Bridge Street and turn left or ENE onto it. Drive 0.2 km to
Dickinson Street and turn right or southeast onto it. There is parking
near the old mill on the right for the Watson's Mill site iin Manotick.

Good birding,

Gillian Mastromatteo
Ottawa, ON

My blog:  http://gillianm.livejournal.com/