Ian Cannell, Margaret Liubavicius and I were at Algonquin Provincial Park
yesterday Feb. 23rd and the Boreal Chickadees and Spruce Grouse are still in
the west end of the Spruce Bog area (parking lot and just short of the
boardwalk).

There are suet feeders in these areas and the Boreal Chickadees come to the
Suet Feeder area near the boardwalk and the Spruce Grouse may be found in the
area between the parking lot and the boardwalk.

We saw 2 Spruce Grouse and 2 Boreal Chickadees along with 9 Gray Jays. The Jays
were at the Spruce Bog boardwalk parking lot(3)and along Opeongo Road(6) as
well as many Common Redpolls and look in these flocks for Hoary Redpolls. Along
Lake Street on the south side of Whitney we found 3 Hoary Redpolls in a large
flock of Common Redpolls. Whitney is on the east side of the park.

As we were leaving the park in the late afternoon we had great close up views
of a large female Moose and her yearling calf at Km 1.5

Norm Murr

Directions per Ron Tozer:Algonquin Park is three hours north of Toronto, via
Highways 400,11 and 60. Follow the signs, which start in Toronto on Highway
400.From Ottawa, take Highway 17 to Renfrew, then follow Highway 60 to the
park. Kilometre markers along Highway 60 in the Park go from the West Gate (km
0) to near the East Gate (km 56). Get your park permit and the park tabloid
(with a map of birding locations mentioned here) at the gates. The Visitor
Centre at km 43 has recent bird sightings, feeders, and information. The centre
and restaurant are open weekends from 10 am to 4 pm. During the week, birders
may be able to enter the centre by the service entrance (far right as you face
the building) to view the feeders. Contact staff for permission. Algonquin Park
birding updates and information are available at:www.algonquinpark.on.ca